Stress, tension, and exhaustion are common problems in today’s world. Unfortunately, high-stress levels can lead to several health issues. We need to take regular breaks to unwind and pamper ourselves to avoid it from happening. Shiatsu massage is a fantastic way to get your inner equilibrium back.
Shiatsu, which means “finger” (shi) and “pressure” (atsu), seeks to facilitate the body’s capacity for self-healing and to advance general health and wellbeing. Shiatsu is a type of Japanese bodywork that employs pressure to encourage relaxation. Shiatsu practitioners use their fingertips, palms, and elbows to apply pressure to various points on the body. Still, they may incorporate assisted or passive joint movements or stretches and acupressure techniques.
What is a Shiatsu Massage?
Shiatsu is a type of Japanese bodywork. It uses acupressure and other techniques to relieve pain, stress, and illness. Shiatsu is also known as acupressure massage because it uses the same methods that traditional Chinese medicine practitioners have used for centuries.
The goal of Shiatsu is to balance the flow of energy throughout your entire body by applying pressure to areas where there may be imbalances or blockages in your energy flow (known as “channels”). When this happens, we feel pain or discomfort due to an imbalance in our organs’ ability to function normally.
Shiatsu utilizes various techniques, but five main things make it unique. The five main things that make Shiatsu unique are:
- Pressure Points
- Passive Joint Movement and Stretches
- Assisted or Passive Joint Movement or Stretch (Shiatsu)
- Rhythmically applied pressure
Where is Shiatsu based, and how is it different from other forms of massages?
The foundation of Shiatsu is traditional Chinese medical practice. The body is treated as a system rather than merely as a collection of symptoms or pieces in this holistic approach to health. In addition, it addresses the underlying causes of sickness rather than its symptoms—and this philosophy is at the core of how Shiatsu works.
The main differences between Shiatsu and other massage techniques include the following:
- The quantity of clothes is the first distinction. Most therapeutic massages are given to either fully or partially naked clients. You should dress comfortably and loosely for shiatsu treatment.
- Unlike other massage styles that use oil to lubricate the skin, no lubricant is used in shiatsu sessions. The friction between your client’s back and chair is enough to create a gentle yet effective massage. It also means you don’t need to worry about using special oils or lotions for your client’s comfort.
- Shiatsu massages are performed on the client while lying on a soft mat or other cushioned surface on the floor, as opposed to massage treatment, which is often administered with the patient reclining on a massage table.
- The practitioner uses their hands to exert pressure (or sometimes with an instrument) to help correct imbalances in their body’s energy flow; this helps improve circulation and promote healing throughout their entire being.
- Shiatsu is a form of massage that uses firm but gentle pressure. It’s often used for pain relief and stress reduction. Still, it can also treat other conditions like insomnia or tension headaches.
- Shiatsu practitioners use manual palpation to learn about the client’s condition and address imbalances.
- They may use candles or heat lamps during treatment sessions, which can help relax you after working out tensions from previous exercises such as yoga classes.
- You’ll notice the most difference in how you’ll feel afterward. After a therapeutic massage, most individuals say they feel incredibly at ease and practically asleep. After receiving shiatsu therapy, you’ll probably feel energized and rejuvenated.
How is Shiatsu Massage Done?
Shiatsu massage uses a specific sequence of pressure points (often called “categories”) applied to the body. These categories include:
- Muscular areas, such as the back and shoulders
- Visceral organs (such as the liver and kidneys) influence our metabolism and digestion.
- Depending on your practitioner’s preference, pressure is applied using either palms or fingers. The practitioner will start by applying sustained, rhythmic pressure on a point using their palms and fingers before continuing to use force for several seconds or minutes before releasing it and moving onto another area of the body.
What Are Shiatsu Massage’s Benefits?
In contrast to more contemporary kinds of massage, Shiatsu frequently includes a spiritual or metaphysical component. It focuses on realigning meridian points and qi energy balance.
Shiatsu is a holistic treatment that influences a person’s internal energy system to improve their overall health. It says it can assist with the following:
- faulty posture
- joint issues like arthritis
- aching muscles
- gastrointestinal and bowel issues
- sports accidents
- Hash fever
- persistent colds
- skin problems
- both sudden and recurring pains
- skeletal tension
- perimenopause syndrome
- weak libido
Does shiatsu massage hurt?
Shiatsu uses physical contact to determine how the body’s qi is distributed and to address any imbalances. Shiatsu may treat the entire body and aid in the recovery of the physical functioning of the neurological and circulatory systems, musculoskeletal structures, and internal organs by boosting the patient’s immune system.
Shiatsu hardly ever causes discomfort. It applies focused pressure that is strong. There could be some spots where the practitioner uses additional pressure.
Additionally, it’s critical to remember that the discomfort may result from various circumstances, all of which rely on the client. Physical or mental trauma from the past might be the source of the pain. Among other things, it could be brought on by a disease or an inflammatory condition.
Ready to get a Shiatsu Massage?
Shiatsu is a great way to get relief from pain and stress through simple but effective bodywork techniques. Shiatsu massage is designed to relax the muscles, relieving tension and reducing pressure on the body.
Shiatsu has been used throughout Asia for thousands of years. Many different styles of Shiatsu massage specialize in treating specific areas of the body. If you’re interested in learning more about shiatsu massage, In Balance Wellness is in the perfect location so that you can experience it today!